Saturday, March 3, 2012

Justice or Forgiveness?

Have you ever been hurt by someone and wanted to hurt them just as much as they hurt you? I know I have. But is that the way we want to be? Is that what our society has come to? Is seeking justice more important than seeking forgiveness?

Not for me! Forgiveness frees the soul, justice buries it. There is not one single instance in my life that I can truly say that I would rather seek justice than forgiveness. Yes, I've been hurt. Yes, some have hurt me bad enough to not let thost people be a part of my life anymore. Yes, I forgive them. Do I still hold some anger in my heart? Of course, who wouldn't but through forgiving them, I am able to let go of some of that anger over time.

In reading Gary Chapman's The 5 Love Languages, I have learned that Forgiveness is the way of love. He states: "Love doesn't keep a score of wrongs. Love doesn't bring up past failures. None of us is perfect."

This is held true in all relationships, not just with a spouse but with friends, family, co-workers, etc. I have had many friends who I loved like a member of my family. I hurt them, they hurt me and in the end, weren't true friends at all. Although they are no longer in my life, I have forgiven them, and even if they haven't forgiven me, my heart is clear. Same thing goes for family. Although family will always be a part of your life, the one's who have hurt you, can no longer have a hold over you if you forgive and let your heart love them, despite having hurt you in the past.

He also states: " I have the option of justice or forgiveness. If I choose justice and seek to pay her back or make her pay for her wrongdoing, I am making myself the judge and she the felon. Intmacy becomes impossible. If, however, I choose to forgive, intimacy can be restored. Forgiveness is the way of love."

Who are we to judge others? That is not our place. Every one has skeletons in their closets and judgement should be left to our maker. I am not here on this earth to judge your actions, your choices, your life. I am here to love, be loved and be the best person that I can be.

I will make mistakes. I am not perfect. All I can ask is that you forgive me.

What do you choose? Justice or Forgiveness?






































No comments:

Post a Comment