Sunday, February 26, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Do you ever cringe every time you have to buy a bottle of laundry soap? I know I sure did. It just seemed like a waste to spend that much money on something that didn't work as good as I thought it should.

I decided I was going to give homemade laundry detergent a try. So far, I love it!! Although it doesn't suds up like your traditional soap, it does it's job without all of that hoopla!

I had searched many places for a great recipe...and they all were pretty much the same with exception of a few ingredients. So I just figured, I would forgo any recipe I found online and just mix it up my way. This is what I used:

2 - Bars of Pink Zote Soap
1 - 4lb Box of Borax
1 - Small Bottle of Purex Crystals - This I chose so that it would have more of a scent.
1 - 4lb Box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
1 - 3lb Box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
     4lbs of Oxy Clean - I had to buy a 5 pound box so now I have some left for other cleaners!!

You will want to grate the Zote soap using a cheese grater. I used a hand crank one instead of the typical grater but you can also use a food processor if you have one.

Then mix all ingredients together in a larger container. (I used a small storage tub)

Divide into airtight containers or use the containers of the Purex Crystals or any other old laundry tubs you may have.

You will only need 1-2 tablespoons of this at a time. I use 1 for a small load and 2 for a large load.

I also keep a small bottle of vinegar next to my washer to use for those dirtier loads of laundry and just put it in where the bleach is supposed to go, about 3 tablespoons!






This makes quite a bit and should last us a good 6-8 months, if not longer.

Total Cost: $24.91
Cost per month with homemade: About $3.50
Cost of a bottle of laundry soap: $7.00-$12.00 (I used about 1 bottle a month...we do lots of laundry)

So you do the math: which seems more economical, especially, if like me, for families who are on a budget??

Next on my agenda: Chemical Free Cleaners



No comments:

Post a Comment